Cooper Tire & Rubber is one of the oldest names in the business, founded way back in 1914 in Akron, Ohio. Today, Cooper is part of the Goodyear family, with an international presence, but with manufacturing still based in the United States. The competition is pretty stiff when it comes to the all-season tire category, so what is it about the Cooper Cobra Radial G/T that makes it a standout in terms of performance and value?
Features and Benefits
First off, the raised white letter sidewall of the Cooper Cobra Radial G/T gives it a great, stylish look that wouldn’t be at all out of place on a 60s muscle car. The Cobra Radial G/T combines classic looks with up-to-date design and performance, though:
- Wide circumferential grooves efficiently expel water from the tire’s contact patch to help resist hydroplaning and enhance wet-weather grip.
- Solid center rib boosts on-center, straight-line stability and road manners on the highway.
- Slotted shoulder blocks improve cornering and braking performance while helping promote even wear.
- Modern all-season tread formulation is designed for wet and dry traction along with lower rolling resistance and long wear.
- Tread pitch is sequenced and computer-tuned to help keep road noise to a minimum.
- Void ratio (tread surface vs. grooves and sipes) is optimized for improved contact with the road.
Years of experience and research helped Cooper engineers refine the Cobra Radial G/T for performance and great year-round traction, even in light snow and slush. The Cobra Radial G/T’s footprint is designed for an even distribution of weight and force across the contact patch, and the features listed above all help boost handling, cornering, braking and ride quality while delivering long, even wear. Cooper is confident enough about the Cobra Radial G/T to back it with a 50,000 mile limited manufacturer tread life warranty.
Pros and Cons
So now you know some of the strong points of the Cooper Cobra Radial G/T. You’re probably wondering if it’s the right tire for you, so let’s sum up:
- Great-looking white letter sidewall adds a performance-car touch to any vehicle the Cooper Cobra Radial G/T is mounted on.
- Advanced tread formulation delivers long wear, exceptional traction for braking and cornering performance.
- Center rib delivers great straight-line road feel and stability.
- Dependable, safe traction and performance on wet or dry pavement.
- 50,000 mile limited manufacturer tread life warranty.
- Low noise thanks to a computer-tuned tread pitch that cancels sound waves.
Of course, no tire does everything well, and the Cooper Cobra Radial G/T is no different. While this tire has plenty in the plus column, what are some of the weaknesses of the Cobra Radial G/T?
- Traction in light snow or slush is safe and dependable, but the Cobra Radial G/T loses its grip in heavier snow (to be fair, so do most all-season tires).
- Some tire reviews report that the Cobra Radial G/T will lose grip while cornering during hard acceleration.
SimpleTire’s view on Cooper Cobra Radial G/T tires
At SimpleTire, it’s our view that Cooper Cobra Radial G/T tires are a great tire for vintage muscle cars and performance cars, with the aggressive white-letter sidewall lending a period-correct look with modern-day performance and design features (NOTE: select sizes have a black sidewall rather than white lettering). You can expect a forgiving ride, decisive traction on wet or dry pavement, good acceleration, braking and handling properties, and long wear, backed by a generous warranty. While the Cobra Radial G/T might be a little more pricey, its performance and design justify a bit of extra cost, especially compared to some of the competition, and of course you can feel good about a made-in-USA tire. The Cobra Radial G/T is also available in a wide range of sizes for various fitments.
Cooper Cobra Radial G/T Ratings and Reviews
James 5 Verified Customer Aug 31, 2020 Great Tires! RWL are the best!!
Brandon 5 Verified Customer Aug 24, 2020 I love these tires and for the price, wow! Simpletire will be my tire shop that I go to for all my tire needs. I just wish I had found them sooner. Great job. Thank you.
Chris 5 Verified Customer Aug 24, 2020 Great tires for my restored 68 Chevy C10. Rides like a new truck, and handles so much better.
Dana 4.5 Verified Customer Aug 10, 2020 Love the smooth quiet ride, grippy handling and very sporty look on my Custom 1988 Dodge D-150. Sharp! Came fast and mounted easy. Thanks, Simple Tire
Vehicles the Cooper Cobra Radial G/T is an OEM tire for
Considering the Cobra Radial G/T is designed as an upgrade or replacement tire for vintage muscle cars and pony cars, it’s available in widths ranging from 215 to 295, in 14” or 15” sizes. This would make it a great option for 60s and 70s-era rides such as:
Ready to find the perfect tires?