Would buy again..
Thunderer Ranger ATRReviews
68 reviews48 on SimpleTire20 from Google Shopping
Would you buy again?
- 16 out of 100
- 24 out of 100
- 6 out of 100
- 1 out of 100
- 1 out of 100
Founded in 2006, Thunderer Tires is a part of American Omni Trading Company and is based in Thailand. The tire brand focuses on making tires for the North American region and produces a range of good quality tires for passenger cars, performance vehicles, CUVs, SUVs, light trucks, trailers, and more.
The Thunderer Ranger ATR is a new-generation all-terrain tire that features an aggressive design and is made for use on pickups, SUVs, and Jeeps. The tire is designed for year-round use and can perform on paved roads as well as on challenging off-road terrains. Thunderer has incorporated new-gen technologies and features to make this all-terrain tire more worthy than its counterparts. But, practically are these technologies and features good enough to provide a seamless on- and off-road driving experience? Let’s find out in this Thunderer Ranger ATR tire review.
Features and Benefits
The Thunderer Ranger ATR borrows all the typical all-terrain tire traits to deliver a solid multi-terrain and all-season performance. You may take it on the highways or go for an off-road adventure and climb rocks to experience some adrenaline rush.
Let’s find out what all state-of-the-art technologies and features the Ranger ATR is armed with.
- Aggressive tread design for better traction – This tire features an aggressive footprint that assures solid grip on soft, loose, and uneven terrains. The tread design creates a good number of biting edges to offer a seamless forward motion on mud and loose dirt. Moreover, the tread also has a superior self-cleaning ability and can clear mud, snow, and rocks to offer solid traction on diverse terrains.
- Better grip on paved roads – The aggressive tread pattern of this all-terrain tire is complimented by its advanced 3D siping technology that appears zigzag at a glance and provides a superior grip while driving on paved roads.
- Improved cornering and maneuvering – There are rigid interior blocks that provide extra biting edges on wet and dry surfaces and ensure improved cornering and maneuvering.
- Can be pinned with studs – For increased traction in conditions like snow, ice, and slush, this tire is offered with studdable shoulder lugs. This makes driving in wintry conditions a lot more convenient, especially in the regions where the temperature falls very often and snowfall is usually high.
- All-season performance – Another highlight of this tire is its all-season tread compound which ensures good performance in dry, wet, and light winter conditions. For harsh winter conditions, this tire is needed to be pinned with studs.
- Increased durability – The Ranger ATR features a durable tread compound for optimum wear resistance and increased service life. This tire also gets a reinforced construction that helps it to maintain its original shape in case of heavy loads and driving pressure.
- Backed by a solid warranty – Thunderer assures complete peace of mind and a good ownership experience. Its Ranger ATR tire is backed by a 45,000 or 50,000 mile limited manufacturer tread life warranty, depending on the tire’s size.
- Made for a variety of SUVs and pickups - This all-terrain tire caters to a wide variety of SUVs, Jeeps, and pickups as it is offered in 15 to 20-inch rim sizes.
Pros and Cons
So, is the Thunderer Ranger ATR good for you, or should you consider something else? Let’s go over the positives and negatives before we put our view in the end.
- Provides solid traction on- and off-road.
- Can be used year-round as its performance in dry, wet, and light winter weather conditions is good.
- Good for use in harsh winter weather conditions as it can be pinned with studs (where permitted).
- Durable compound and reinforced construction increase its tread life and load-carrying capacity.
- Covered by a 45,000 or 50,000 mile limited manufacturer tread life warranty, based on its size.
While Thunderer makes a good claim of the Ranger ATR’s satisfactory service in on- and off-road conditions, the tire does have some negatives.
- Expensive than some of its peers for certain sizes.
- Noisy when driven on paved roads.
- Not the most fuel efficient.
SimpleTire’s view on Thunderer Ranger ATR tires
If you are looking for an affordable tire that’s good on- and off-road, and can specially do a decent job while going on occasional off-road adventures, the Thunderer Ranger ATR can be a perfect match to your expectations. The tire can also be considered for light winter conditions as it comes with a flexible compound and can even provide traction in snow, ice, and slush due to its studdable shoulder lugs. The overall construction of the tire is durable and it can serve for a longer tenure if proper maintenance and rotation is followed. The tread compound of this tire is good for use year-round, it’s just that you will have to get used to hearing loud noises while driving on paved roads. Additionally, there’s a limited manufacturer tread life warranty for up to 45,000 or 50,000 miles, depending on the size. Apart from the loud noise on paved roads, the only drawback we could find is its slightly higher price than some of the competing models.
Vehicles the Thunderer Ranger ATR is a good replacement tire for
Made for use on SUVs, light trucks, and Jeeps, the Thunderer Ranger ATR tire can be a good replacement choice for vehicles like Chevrolet Silverado 1500, Ford F-350, Dodge RAM 1500, Toyota Tacoma, Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra 1500, and Dodge Durango Adventurer.
48 SimpleTire reviews
Put these on my wife's 2018 Chevy Tahoe Z71. Wanted something that looked a little more aggressive without the high price or noise of a mud terrain. Tires are a little louder than other A/Ts, like the Falken AT3s. But overall for the price they are great! Great handling, great looks, ride quality is very nice with a very subtle feeling of the lugs in the steering wheel. Would definitely recommend these tires based on Quality vs. Price Tag.
I have a 2016 f350 single rear axle 4x4. Originally I had bfg all terrains on my truck. Because of their price increase I chose to go with the thunderer atr. To me they ride better that the bfg's. They are quiet. They grip well on dry asphalt, rocks, mud, and snow/ice. They slip a little on new wet asphalt. But overall they are a great tire.
Great all around tire, shipping was fast for me. I've ordered 2 sets of them. The first set I put on my wife's 2013 explorer last fall. Second set I put on my 2010 Mercury Mariner this spring. Both look great and perform well in snow and on ice. A little road noise but nothing drastic in my opinion. I feel very confident when the Minnesota blizzards hit with theses Thunderer tires. I would 100% recommend them to anybody with a mid sized suv or light pickup.
Smooth ride, with almost no road noise. Awesome tires, price and warranty to boot!
Bought 4 tires for my F 350 but they didn't last 12,000 miles and one tire had a bubble come up in the tread of the tire, I guess you get what you pay for. Cheap made tires.
I've only had these tires for a month or so, but to this point they have performed well on my Ram 1500. Not as aggressive as my K-2s, but for half the cost they do well both on the pavement and off. Heard a lot of complaints about the noise, but this has not been an issue for me to this point. I will be interested to see what the tread life will be in comparison to other tires I've had.
Dry traction is as good as any other. At 70 plus MPH in heavy rain, no hydroplaning. Ice packed road with 6 inches of snow on top, didnt spin a tire! These tires are awesome at any price. 2021 Toyota Tacoma. 5000 miles on them so i dont know much about treadwear. These tires are a bargain
When I took these tires to the shop, they mounted the first one. The second tire as they were mounting it started to bulge center tread at around 10 psi. Once to 40 psi, the same size tire was about 3 inches larger than the other one mounted. It came with a bad belt but I will tell ya, I took a picture and contacted customer service and I had my replacement in 2 days. I appreciate Simple Tires support, I would buy these tires again. Look aggressive and have a slight hum for road noise but I have an aftermarket exhaust so it don't bother me.
Very reasonable prices and quick shipping. The tires seem great so far... Running them on my 1999 Ford E450 Shuttle Bus converted into a tiny house on wheels. Put them on in NY, and happy so far on my journey. In Tuscon now...about 3,000 miles in...