Good all around winter tire.
Pirelli Scorpion WinterReviews
Our proprietary rating system
for the modern tire buyer.
8 reviews3 on SimpleTire5 from Google Shopping
Would you buy again?
- 0 out of 100
- 2 out of 100
- 1 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
Amongst the top-rated tire makers in the world, Pirelli needs no introduction as the Italian tire manufacturer has a grand legacy of over a century. Pirelli offers ample tire options for passenger cars, minivans, SUVs, CUVs, light trucks, and more in different categories such as all-season, all-weather, all-terrain, summer, UHP, and winter. Its portfolio of winter and snow tires is large and the Scorpion Winter tire line has a wide range of tire sizes for CUVs, SUVs, and light trucks.
Since its launch in 2012, the Pirelli Scorpion Winter tire has had an incredible run thanks to its superior grip and traction and resistance to extreme temperatures. Designed to provide excellent grip to UVs with high power and torque, the Scorpion earns brownie points for impressive downhill braking at corners and on slippery surfaces. The trust of BMW for its X5 and Lamborghini for Urus SUVs is a testament to its capabilities in the winter weather. It comes in an extensive range of tire sizes ranging from 16 to 22 inches and is also available with Run Flat technology for continuous driving without air pressure.
So, how is it able to perform that superbly in winter weather? Let’s delve into more details in this Pirelli Scorpion Winter tire review to know the answer.
Features and Benefits
Winter tires are designed to offer superior grip, traction, and control over challenging, slippery, and snowy surfaces. The tires are excellent in holding their ground, even on slippery roads. The Scorpion Winter does the same. How? Here it is.
- Superior grip and fantastic performance – The optimized, directional tread design features a new rubber compound with innovative materials that not only returns maximum grip on wet and snow surfaces but also high fuel efficiency by lowering the rolling resistance. The presence of multiple sipes and circumferential grooves quickly remove water and slush to reduce the risk of hydroplaning.
- Commanding control and brilliant handling – The directional and symmetric tread pattern with intelligent geometric blocks improve high-speed handling and reduce braking distance on snowy surfaces. The patented sipe layout, too, helps in improving snow traction on straight-line drives and while cornering. The new mold profile ensures there’s progressive and responsive handling on dry surfaces.
- Quiet and comfortable driving – The Scorpion Winter comes with a Pirelli Noise Canceling System (PNCS) that reduces noise with the help of a sound-absorbing material pasted on the inside of the tire wall that traps and doesn’t allow the noise to escape. The tread design with variable pitch sequence, too, ensures soundwaves are restricted.
Pros and Cons
We’ve seen the features and benefits of the Scorpion Winter. Now let’s have a glance over the advantages and disadvantages of the premium segment tire before we head over to the end of the Pirelli Scorpion Winter review.
- Comfortable and quiet ride
- Directional tread design for superb grip and traction on snow and ice
- Circumferential grooves for quick water and slush removal
- Patented sipes to improve handling and reduce braking distance
- Available in a wide range of tire sizes
- New tread compound for maximum grip and traction
- Solid shoulders with lateral grooves for enhanced cornering and even wear
- Improved handling and stability at high speeds on ice and snow
- No tread life warranty
- Average tread life due to fluffy compound
- Not suited for muddy terrains
- Cannot be used when temperatures are consistent above 45 degrees Fahrenheit
SimpleTire’s view on Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires
To sum it up, the Scorpion Winter (starts around $197) ticks all the right boxes to qualify for a great winter tire as it offers exceptional grip in wet, snow, and ice, superb braking distance, excellent performance in deep snow, superior handling and stability even while cornering, and an aesthetically pleasing tread pattern.
Vehicles the Pirelli Scorpion Winter is a good replacement tire for
Given its great winter attributes, the Pirelli Scorpion Winter tire earns a place as an OE-fitted tire for BMW X5 and Lamborghini Urus. However, it can also be an excellent replacement tire option for Audi Q5, Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Jaguar I-Pace, Ford Edge, Maserati Levante, Land Rover Freelander, Mercedes GLC, Volkswagen Touareg, Porsche Cayenne, and Volvo XC60.
3 SimpleTire reviews
I use these as my winter tires for my 2014 Mercedes GL550 / I highly recommend these, as they allow my vehicle to be a beast in the winter, being able to get through virtually anything
perfect winter tire.. my brother in law was telling me about these tires and i finally gave in and bought them.. so glad i did.. I guess hes good for something after all..