Decently quiet for studded tires. Great in snow and deep snow, excellent control on ice.
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 StuddedReviews
4 reviews4 on SimpleTire
Would you buy again?
- 1 out of 100
- 2 out of 100
- 1 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
Driving with confidence in cold, Nordic winters is no mere feat. It requires some of the most innovative tire technologies to be used, which is where the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 Studded comes in. Although known by most as a Finnish tire manufacturer, Nokian now has a $360 million manufacturing unit in Dayton, TN, and this tire is manufactured in Nokian’s state-of-the-art facilities in Nokia, Finland and Dayton. While its product development started as early as 2009, the latest flagship version of this winter tire was rolled out in 2013. Let’s find out more about this tire through the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 Studded review below, shall we?
Features and Benefits
Modern stud technology in the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 Studded is able to provide outstanding grip on ice and snow like never before. There is no one better than Finnish engineers who understand the level of grip necessary to conquer the cold terrain, which is why Hakkapeliitta 8 is often treated as the gold standard of winter tires. The tire has been officially approved for extensive winter use. During our Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 Studded tire review, we found the following features and benefits:
- Maximum traction- This tire’s tread compound is built using flexible materials for consistent traction and performance in all winter conditions.
- Excellent steering responses- Diagonal 3D sipes work closely with the tread design for ensuring excellent steering responses.
- Three Peak Mountain Snowflake- The presence of this symbol shows that the tire is certified for use in moderate to severe winter weather conditions.
- Better traction with studs- Drivers can obtain higher traction in severe winter conditions by pinning this tire with studs.
- Great fuel economy- Low rolling resistance on this tire is responsible for excellent fuel efficiency.
- Effective braking- The use of Brake Booster technology within the tread blocks enables quick and effective braking on snowy surfaces.
Pros and Cons
The level of grip available through Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 Studded tires can sometimes be unbelievable for some customers. Once they get used to this tire, most of them are unlikely to switch to other brands. The pros and cons of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 Studded are as follows:
- Great grip and handling on snowy and icy roads
- Excellent dry and wet traction
- Ensures safety in all winter conditions
- Studs provide best traction in severe winter weather
- Special technology for braking quickly
- No limited manufacturer warranty
- Cannot be used when temperatures are consistently above 45 degrees Fahrenheit
- Can be expensive
- Cannot be used in all locations, as studs are not legal in each State/region
SimpleTire’s view on Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 Studded tires
A special winter tread design on Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 Studded is just a teaser of what the tire is truly capable of. It has been specially designed for use on coupes and sedans. While being used, these tires do not just handle snow and ice, but also water and slush. The tire’s ability to fight and conquer the above elements in a superior fashion ensures a high Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 Studded rating. Nordic engineers have prepared this tire using a special tread compound developed with extreme cold conditions in mind.
Vehicles the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 Studded is a good replacement tire for
Nokian makes use of some of the best innovations to make its studded winter tires. Though not the quietest, these tires are reasonably quiet in various weather conditions. Though several tires provide good grip in severe cold, none of them can beat the combination of grip and safety that the Hakkapeliitta offers, which often justifies the price they’re sold at. Use these as replacement tires on the following vehicles:
- Volvo S60 AWD
- BMW 323i
- Audi S3
- Cadillac CTS
- Volkswagen Jetta
4 SimpleTire reviews
We have used Nokian (Nokia) winter tires for many years on an assortment of vehicles . They have always provided outstanding traction in every possible condition the severe Northeast Winters throw at us. We purchased these Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded tires for our daughter's Volvo S60 AWD. She started her Graduate degree studies at a University in New Hampshire and we wanted to ensure she was always going to have the highest level of safety possible. I don't think I can think of a better safety combination of Volvo and Nokian add the outstanding service and competitive pricing of SIMPLETIRE that makes an unbeatable trinity !!!