Awesome for snow
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10Reviews
1 reviews1 on SimpleTire
Would you buy again?
- 1 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
When you think about what a far-north winter looks like, winter doesn’t get a lot tougher than what Finland experiences. Nokian calls Finland home; not surprisingly, Nokian specializes in winter tires that are packed with advanced features and modern design ideas. The Hakkapeliitta 10 (“Hakkapeliitta” is the historic term for 17th century Finnish cavalry troops) is a studded winter tire that’s ready for the absolute worst winter weather that comes its way.
Nokian knows that along with traction and braking performance, winter tires need to deliver civilized ride quality, road manners, handling, and noise levels, and the Hakkapeliitta 10 is designed with those goals in mind. So does the tire really live up to the Nokian reputation for value, quality and winter traction? Let’s get a little deeper into it with this Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 review.
Features and Benefits
The Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 is loaded with innovations and features that all put it solidly in the Plus column:
- Studs at center of tread enhance acceleration and braking traction, studs toward shoulder improve cornering and steering response
- Unique star-shaped studs are angled for best cornering, braking, and lane changing performance
- Low rolling resistance for a fuel economy advantage
- Stiff tread blocks provide good cornering ability, high-speed stability, and road manners on dry pavement
- Eco Stud 10 stud design is environmentally friendly and less damaging to road surfaces
- Dense sipe pattern and multifaceted Snow Claw feature built into tread blocks for thousands of extra biting edges that dig into snow and slush
- Contact patch is optimized for even wear and maximum amount of rubber on the road
- Tread pitch and stud design are computer tuned to cancel frequencies and keep road noise to a minimum
- Rubber formulation stays flexible and pliable at subfreezing temperatures for winter traction
- Three Peak Mountain Snowflake rated for severe winter service
- Directional tread pattern with deep angled and lateral grooves that evacuate water and slush from the tire’s footprint to resist hydroplaning
- Studs are bedded into specially-designed rubber cushions to help cut vibration and noise
- Tire compound is composed of 30% canola oil, pine resin, and other green materials
- Aramid-reinforced sidewall guards against curb damage, pothole damage
Pros and Cons
So, is this the right tire for your ride and budget? Before you decide, let’s take a look at the tire’s strengths:
- Phenomenal traction, acceleration, braking, cornering on snow and ice
- Studded design really makes all the difference on ice
- Comfortable ride
- Three Peak Mountain Snowflake certified for use in severe winter weather
- Enhanced fuel efficiency
Unfortunately, no tire is perfect and that’s true for the Hakkapeliitta 10 too:
- Handling isn’t great on dry pavement
- Noisy due to studs
- No limited manufacturer tread life warranty
- More expensive than some of its competitors
SimpleTire’s view on Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 tires
When it comes to studded tires, more studs doesn’t necessarily equate to better winter performance. What does make all the difference, though, is the layout and placement of the studs. The studs of the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 are strategically laid out to enhance both acceleration/braking and cornering/steering response, and this design definitely pays off in confident, predictable handling and performance in severe winter conditions. Additionally, the star-shaped studs are designed to make a difference in winter performance – it’s just typical of the kind of innovative, thoughtful design that Nokian puts into their winter tires.
No, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 doesn’t excel on dry pavement, but that’s not really what it’s designed for. We should note here that no winter tires are designed for warmer weather; their softer, more pliable tread formulation wears quickly on warmer days, and manufacturers advise against using winter tires if daily temperatures are above 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Yes, it’s expensive, but we really feel that the performance dividend it pays makes it a great value for hard winter weather. No, the tire is not covered by a limited manufacturer tread life warranty (most winter tires don’t have a mileage warranty), but Nokian does offer coverage against road hazards as well as a standard workmanship/manufacturing warranty. And yes, it’s a little noisy due to the studs, like all studded winter tires.
NOTE: Studded tires are illegal in many states, and the states where they are legal restrict the months where they can be used. Check state laws first.
Vehicles the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 is a good replacement tire for
The Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 is a good fit for coupes, sedans, and minivans, such as the: