I had these installed last fall and so far I'm extremely impressed and happy with them. I've had them into everything from sand, mud, ice, snow, you name it, and these things SHINE. I was in a field on way to an ice-fishing spot this winter in my 96XJ, broke through ice in the field, and in 2wd I crawled easily out of mud, snow and ice, and water...... These tires wear well, road noise is minimal for how aggressive they are, look great and I got them from a local tire shop mounted, balanced, and an alignment for 600 bucks. I've had a lot of different tires on my jeeps over the years and these things are the best wearing, traction, all-around tire I've had yet.
Americus Rugged ATRReviews
5 reviews5 on SimpleTire
Would you buy again?
- 3 out of 100
- 2 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
Founded in 1900, Americus Tires is owned by the American Omni Trading Company and focuses on making tires for American roads. The brand produces high-quality tires for a range of applications that include passenger cars, CUVs, SUVs, pickup trucks, and commercial vehicles.
The Americus Rugger ATR is a next-generation all-terrain tire that’s designed for use on light trucks, SUVs, and Jeeps. The tire is made for daily commuting and driving on challenging off-road terrains. Superior durability, a rugged profile, and impressive handling allow this tire to serve for a longer period in both on- and off-road conditions. Moreover, the incorporated state-of-the-art technologies and advanced features also make this tire of great use during any particular season and on any given terrain.
But, do these technologies really make a big impact and offer what’s promised by the tire maker? Let’s find this out in this Americus Rugged ATR tire review.
Features and Benefits
All-terrain tires offer drivers traction on- and off-road and have the capability to run on highways and climb the rocks. The Americus Rugged ATR is no different from a typical all-terrain tire. It can be used for everyday commuting and can also be taken for off-road adventures. Let’s go over the features and benefits of the Rugged ATR and understand this all-terrain tire in detail.
- Higher load carrying capacity and improved durability – The Rugged ATR features a reinforced construction and is built using a durable compound. The reinforced construction allows the tire to maintain its original shape, even while driving in challenging conditions, to reduce the chances of uneven wear and improve load carrying capacity. Likewise, the durable compound of this tire uses solid, wear-resistant rubber materials that reduce tread wear and increase the tire’s service life.
- Aggressive tread design – The aggressive tread pattern of this tire is engineered to provide traction on soft, loose, and uneven terrains, alongside offering superior comfort while driving on paved roads. Thanks to the staggered elements and high void ratio, the tire sails through deep mud and loose dirt with a satisfactory forward motion. The tread pattern of this tire also has a good self-cleaning ability that doesn’t allow mud, snow, or rocks to accumulate inside the tread. Additionally, the tread of this tire also maintains solid contact with the road surface and provides better driving stability and steering responsiveness.
- Should block pattern with 3D siping technology – The innovative shoulder block pattern seen on the Rugged ATR is optimized for improved cornering and maneuvering ability. This enhances vehicle control throughout the tire’s performance. In addition, the 3D siping technology of this tire augments traction on dry and wet surfaces.
- All-season performance – The footprint of this tire uses an all-season rubber compound that allows the tire to perform in dry, wet, and light winter conditions. In addition, for better performance on snow, the tire can be pinned with studs.
- Offers more value with a limited tread life warranty coverage – This all-terrain tire is covered by a 45,000 mile limited manufacturer tread life warranty, This assures complete peace of mind to the drivers and offers a better return on ownership.
- Wide range of rim sizes available – This Rugged ATR is available in 15 to 20-inch rim sizes, which makes it compatible with a large number of light trucks, SUVs, and Jeeps available in the America.
Pros and Cons
So, should you go for the Americus Rugged ATR or look elsewhere? Let’s drill down the pros and cons before concluding with our view in the end.
- The tire is optimized to perform in both on- and off-road conditions.
- More affordable than many competitor tires.
- Year-round performer with solid wet and dry traction.
- Good for use in winter conditions as it can be pinned with studs (where permitted).
- Backed by a 45,000 mile limited manufacturer tread life warranty.
While Americus claims that the Rugged ATR delivers superior on- and off-road performance, it also has some negatives.
- Tread life isn’t as good as its peers.
- Tread noise levels are higher on paved roads.
- Not the most fuel efficient tire.
SimpleTire’s view on Americus Rugged ATR tires
If you need an affordable tire that can be used year-round and performs well on highways and off-road terrains, the Americus Rugged ATR is a good choice. It may not be a Three Peak Mountain Snowflake Certified tire, but it can be of great use in light snow as it comes with a studdable profile. Its advanced 3D siping technology and aggressive tread pattern boost its performance on wet and dry surfaces, and is backed by a 45,000 mile limited manufacturer tread life warranty. But on the downside, it is not the best option when it comes to longevity. The noise levels of this all-terrain tire are also relatively higher than some of its competitors.
The Americus Rugged ATR can be a good alternative to other all-terrain tires like Kenda Klever A/T2 KR628, Nexen Roadian ATX, Nokian Outpost AT, Kumho Road Venture AT52, GT Radial Adventuro AT3, BFGoodrich Trail Terrain T/A, and Falken Wildpeak A/T3W.
Vehicles the Americus Rugged ATR is a good replacement tire for
Designed for use on light trucks, SUVs, and Jeeps, the Americus Rugged ATR can be used as a replacement tire for vehicles like Ford F-250, Jeep Cherokee, Dodge RAM 1500, Toyota Tundra, GMC Sierra 1500, and Chevrolet Silverado 1500.
5 SimpleTire reviews
Recent installed, quite and comfortable tires, average weight for a 265/70/17 115t. this tires DO come with "three peak mountain snowflake"rating. Pretty happy with them. Need to test them in snow and rain, I have not doubts they'll do great.
Just got these a couple of weeks ago on my 96 XJ and so far I'm happy; quiet on the road, handles well on wet roads, and unlike my ST MAX I had before when I pull my boat out of a gravel/sandy boat ramp I don't need to engage 4x4 and I walk it right out. Have yet to test them in snow/deep snow or off-road but I'm pleased so far. And WAY CHEAPER than Coopers which I haven't been overly impressed with yet on my jeep.
Have had the tires for a week now, they look good and are super quite! Shipping was fast! I am pleased all around!
Having only putting on about 300 miles on these tires, I like them . The open lug design should give good winter traction. Along with the open tread comes a little noise. Nothing too great but it is noticeable. Cornering seems solid, no wallow or mushy feeling for my 8500 lb truck. I would definitely buy again and recommend them to a friend.