great tires on the road all around conditions
Toyo Observe GSI-5Reviews
59 reviews59 on SimpleTire
Would you buy again?
- 27 out of 100
- 27 out of 100
- 4 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
- 1 out of 100
Based in Itami, Japan, Toyo Tires, is a global manufacturer of tires and rubber goods. They provide a wide range of high-end replacement tires that offer the perfect balance of upscale riding quality, quiet operation, and refined performance in a tire that is durable for various vehicle types.
Even experienced drivers may have difficulty driving in the winter. Poor visibility, as well as the presence of snow, slush, and ice, are additional issues that the winter season presents. Winter tires are designed specifically for use on ice and snow. Winter tires have a tread pattern with wider gaps than standard tires to improve traction on snow and ice.
The Toyo Observe GSI-5 is a studless winter tire that is designed for use on sedans, SUVs, CUVs, and light trucks. This is a dedicated winter tire that offers strong traction and handling performance in ice, slush, snow, and lower temperatures.
However, is this the right winter tire that is designed to make your driving in winter conditions easier? Let's take a look at the review of Toyo Observe GSI-5 review to determine if it is the right tire for you.
Features and Benefits
Do you need a winter tire? To face the difficulties of driving during the most hazardous months of the year, winter tires are especially made. This is also true of the Toyo Observe GSI-5 which is designed to offer strong traction and performance during winter.
- Enhanced winter traction: Complex pattern of the directional tread design improves the road traction while the specific winter compound maintains flexibility in the coldest temperatures. In order to maximize the number of biting edges on ice and snow-covered road surfaces, the tread has high-density 3D spider web design sipes. In addition, tread blocks have sawtooth-shaped edges to firmly grip ice and snow.
- Increased ice traction: Toyo's proprietary MicroBit technology, which incorporates crushed walnut shells into the tread compound, increases grip and bite into ice on the roadways. Three mountain peaks and snowflake certification help to withstand harsh winter conditions.
- Reduced risk of hydroplaning: By distributing water and slush from beneath the tire's footprint, the large lateral and circumferential grooves in the tread minimize hydroplaning.
- Boosted controllability: The continuous center rib of the tread, along with the intricate siping pattern and strategically placed notches, improve the tire’s controllability. Constant contact with the road improves steering response and stability. The arrangement of the tire's shoulder tread blocks increases the amount of edges that bite into the road when turning and navigating.
- Shortened braking distance: When braking, the sawtooth tread block edges and high-density siping detail grip the road and provide friction. As a result, the braking distance is considerably reduced.
Pros and Cons
Is this the winter tire you have been looking for? Before we reach a conclusion, let us first consider its pros and cons:
- Winter tread pattern to enhance winter weather traction.
- Large and lateral circumferential grooves to remove water from the tread to reduce the risk of hydroplaning.
- 3D spider web design to increase snow traction.
- MicroBit technology with walnut shells increases ice traction.
- Center rib for controllability.
- Sawtooth tread block edges to shorten braking distances.
These are the advantages of the Toyo Observe GSI-5 Tire, however there are some areas where they fall short or may be enhanced.
- Cannot be used when temperatures are consistently above 45 degrees Fahrenheit
- No mileage warranty
- Tends to wear easily
- Cannot be pinned with studs to further enhance traction in severe ice and snow
SimpleTire’s view on Toyo Observe GSI-5 tires
On snowy, dry, and calm roads, the Toyo Observe GSI-5 tires excel at increasing traction and enhancing braking performance, giving drivers high-end performance all winter long. Consider the Toyo Observe GSI-5 if you want a dependable winter tire that offers improved grip and dependable steering performance in wet and snowy weather along with a longer tread life.
In comparison to the Nexen Winguard Winspike and the Cooper Evolution Winter, the Toyo Observe GSI-5 has a better score thanks to its solid handling, traction, and excellent handling.
Although the Cooper Evolution Winter tire has better tread life, the Toyo Observe GSI-5 is less expensive and offers superior traction and handling. When compared to the Nexen Winguard Sport 2, the Toyo Observe GSI-5 delivers better traction and handling, is more affordable, and has better handling.
Overall, due to its great performance in adverse winter weather conditions, the Toyo Observe GSI-5 is a solid choice for winter tires.
Vehicles the Toyo Observe GSI-5 is a good replacement tire for
These tires offer better handling, excellent wet, dry, and ice traction, high speed controllability, shortened braking distances for sedans, SUVs, CUVs, and light trucks. Even though it is not used as original equipment, the Toyo Observe GSI-5 is a great replacement tire for vehicles such as the:
- Mercedes-Benz GL550
- Chevrolet Blazer
- Dodge Ram 1500
- Ford F-350 Super Duty
- GMC Sierra 1500
- Hummer H3
- Land Rover Defender 90
59 SimpleTire reviews
Tires performed well on our son's 2003 Ford Ranger 2WD XL. Winter traction was very sustainable with an extra 210 lbs. of tube sand in the bed over the rear axle (fabricated a containment box to hold 3 single 70 lb. tubes of sand). Great value, easy purchase. and nice rebate from SimpleTire.com. Delivery was exceptional. Robert E. Auburn, NY
Great value...... Excellent tire.
Work much better than previously using all seasons on a turbocharged fwd, getting going is less of a headache now. I don't get stuck on hills anymore so that's great! If you are picky about a little extra noise from your tires then it would be best to look at a more expensive winter tire, but for the cheaper price these do the job just fine! Love them so far!
I live in the snow belt west of Buffalo NY on a steep dirt road. I've gone through many snow tires through the years, from the most famous to the little known. First off, the rubber on these is very soft. The ride is very squishy at first. I put them on in late October and was afraid they would wear down before winter even started. I'm actually impressed with the treadwear and I'm on my second winter with these. My wife likes her snow tires put on before November starts and they don't come off until she's convinced it won't snow again. That's usually in May. So we average 7 months on winter tires. As far as traction, these have never failed me. Great grip in snow, ice, and slushy conditions. I think they may be the best winter tires I've ever used. And I don't say that lightly. Yes, they are marshmallows for handling...especially on my minivan. Even so, I plan on buying these again.
Good tires. Good price. Easy transaction.
I will by again love them tires and tread will be taking soon keep good work up
Not sure on wear as I've only had them a month but love them sooo far!
I figured I'd give some snow tires a try. having come from only using name brand all-season tires I noticed these slip a lot less when trying to get going from a stand still, car still slides around in slush but that's expected with any tire! So far I'm pleased with there snow traction and they are much more quite than I thought they would be! Some sidewall deflection was expected with this but just something to keep in mind. since these aren't really a high performance winter tire don't expect to be Ken Block!
Great tires especially for the price have them on 2 different cars now and will buy them again