Great tires for all snow conditions. Quiet and comfortable, cloud like, ride. Performs okay on the ice. I would recommend these tires for general winter weather.
Michelin X-Ice Xi3Reviews
802 reviews7 on SimpleTire795 from Google Shopping
Would you buy again?
- 4 out of 100
- 2 out of 100
- 1 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
During the winter season, car owners long for tires that are capable of offering ultimate confidence in extreme winter conditions and assure an extended tire life. Apart from these two basic expectations, what matters the most in a winter tire are driving comfort and warranty coverage. The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 ticks all these boxes and aligns itself in the race for ideal winter tires. Designed for use on passenger vehicles, CUVs, SUVs, and vans, the X-Ice Xi3 features various world-class technologies that boost winter performance. In this Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tire review, let’s do a detailed analysis and find out what are the tire’s true capabilities.
Features and Benefits
A winter tire like the X-Ice Xi3 is optimized for a sure-footed grip on ice and snow-covered surfaces and its compound is flexible enough to provide a consistent grip in colder temperatures. It isn’t a studdable tire, but it has plenty of various great qualities that distinguish it from the competition. Here’re its features and benefits that will help you understand the abilities of this tire:
- Confident grip and traction on ice and snow – This tire features Michelin’s patented FleX-Ice silica compound that remains flexible at lower temperatures on snow and ice and likewise ensures optimum dry and wet road stability at higher temperatures. Additionally, the micro-pumps present on the tread dry the tire surface constantly via small pinholes to improve traction and handling on icy roads. What adds more authenticity to its winter performance are the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) symbol and M+S certification.
- Stable handling in wet conditions – The tire’s performance on the wet surface is also enhanced by the Cross Z Sipes that provide the tread blocks adequate lateral and longitudinal stiffness. This ensures stable handling in wet conditions and also improves grip during high-speed handling, acceleration, and braking. Moreover, the circumferential grooves present on the tread also evacuate water to resist aquaplaning and ensure excellent wet traction.
- Impressive fuel efficiency – The X-Ice Xi3 features Michelin’s Green X technology that helps in reducing the rolling resistance, which cuts down fuel consumption and also reduces CO2 emission.
- Enhanced durability – The inner structure of the X-Ice Xi3 is sturdy enough and features a twin steel belt construction and spirally wound nylon cords for improved durability. This allows the tire to maintain its original shape and avoid deformations when the driving pressures are high and perform optimally.
- Longer winter tread life – The patented Michelin MaxTouch Construction features a unique contact patch shape that evenly distributes the acceleration, cornering, and braking forces to promote a longer tread life in wintry conditions.
- Covered by an excellent tread life warranty – This tire is covered by a limited manufacturer tread life warranty of 40,000 or 30,000 miles, depending on the speed rating. In addition, Michelin also offers a standard warranty that covers defects in workmanship or materials.
The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 is available in 15- to 18-inch rim sizes, which are:
Pros and Cons
With all the features and benefits of the X-Ice Xi3 covered, let’s now know the positives and negatives of this tire, starting with the positives first:
- More affordable than some of its competitors
- Provides excellent traction on snow and ice-covered surfaces
- Excellent handling, grip, and traction in wet weather conditions
- Backed by a solid limited manufacturer tread life warranty
- Good at keeping the rolling resistance low and reducing fuel consumption
- Exceptional winter braking performance
While there are many good things the X-Ice Xi3 can be praised for, it has some negatives too:
- Some of its competitors have a longer tread life
- Higher tread noise levels and vibrations than its peers
- Dry performance isn’t impressive compared to other similar tires
- Cannot be used when temperatures are consistently above 45 degrees Fahrenheit
SimpleTire’s view on Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires
If you need an affordable but branded tire that brings along excellent quality and winter performance, the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 can be your best bet in the segment. The tire actually does what it is engineered for – offers reliable performance on snow and ice-covered roads.
While it may surprise you with its winter performance, its wet performance won’t disappoint you either. The handling, grip, and traction on wet surfaces are relatively better than most of its competitors. It contributes to reducing fuel consumption and also provides more confidence to the driver with its exceptional braking performance.
However, its tread life isn’t as great as Michelin claims, but the alternative is that it comes backed by an excellent limited tread life warranty coverage, which gives some sense of easiness to the purchasers. In most Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tire review sections, customers have stated that its dry performance certainly needs some improvements. Additionally, this isn’t made for warm weather conditions, and therefore, it’s better to either go for an all-season tire purchase or buy a separate set of summer tires, if you are inclined to use the tire in warmer or summer months too.
The X-Ice Xi3 winter tire competes against the likes of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3, Pirelli Cinturato Winter 2, Bridgestone Blizzak WS70, Dunlop Winter Maxx 2, Continental VikingContact 7, Hankook Winter i* cept iZ2 (W616), Yokohama iceGUARD iG53, and Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter.
Vehicles the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 is a replacement tire for
Designed for use on passenger cars, CUVs, SUVs, and vans, the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 can be used as a replacement tire for vehicles like BMW 3 Series, Volvo V70, Audi A4, Volkswagen Jetta, Ford Mustang, Honda Civic, Subaru Outback, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Forte, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Mazda 3, Chevrolet Camaro, Lexus GS350, Toyota Echo, Mini Cooper 2, Tesla S 4, Acura TL, Suzuki SX4, Pontiac G6, and Nissan Maxima.
7 SimpleTire reviews
Great quality and good winter and water threaded pattern
I've run about 6 sets of these on various vehicles. These are the #1 winter tire out there. Quiet, smooth, very very safe tire, and the best tread wear out of any winter tire. I haven't been off the road or been stuck in over 9 years running these tires.
AMAzing tires. ive had three sets all on Subaru. I haven't come across any winter weather that will stop them
Very nice directional tire
Love the tires.. Very reasonable
didn't last long