I have OEM Michelin Run Flats Sport Cup 4S on my Corvette C8. Regular driving these are fine. They are DANGEROUS for track use though. These tires are UNSAFE and have batch defects in my opinion and people should be informed before someone gets hurt. I followed Chevrolet's track prep guide for the car (that says this tire can be sued on track). I have been on tracks for 15 years and have never had tires delaminate like these and fall apart after 1 session of a track day. I called Michelin and there customer service tech said it wasn't a defect or covered. He pretty much said it was my fault and never even made the time to look at the images I had. Michelin did not stand behind their product. I will NEVER buy a Michelin tire again. Sad.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4SReviews
202 reviews15 on SimpleTire187 from Google Shopping
Would you buy again?
- 6 out of 100
- 8 out of 100
- 1 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
- 0 out of 100
Coming from one of the world’s biggest tire manufacturers, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is an ultra-high-performance (UHP) tire made for use on performance and sports cars in warmer months. This tire is engineered keeping in mind the enthusiast driver, and is considered one of the best bets when it comes to endurance racing. It is inspired by the manufacturer’s highly popular Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire and focuses on offering exceptional drives on paved roads and race tracks. Michelin’s state-of-the-art technologies focus on making this tire exceptionally well for road handling, control, dry grip, and wet braking performance. However, an ultra-high-performance tire seeker might want to go over the technologies and features of the Pilot Sport 4S to understand it better.
So, here in this Michelin Pilot Sport 4S review, let’s discuss the attributes and pros and cons of this tire in detail, and find out if it is really an excellent choice in the ultra-high-performance category.
Features and Benefits
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S features everything that one would expect in a premium ultra-high-performance tire. It offers responsive handling, strong braking capabilities, and improved acceleration, and is suitable for use in the summer season. Racing enthusiasts and performance-driving lovers would be pleased with many of its excellent features and technologies. Let’s take a quick tour of some of them.
- Excellent dry grip and traction – As the Pilot Sport 4S is built to cater impeccable rides on race circuits, it features a lower-void outer shoulder and a dry-focused hybrid tread rubber that provides outstanding dry grip and traction. The computer-optimized Variable Contact Patch 3.0 helps in distributing the rolling pressure across the tread, thus offering phenomenal cornering and increased tread life. Furthermore, the large continuous tread blocks of this tire provide high-speed stability and increased lateral grip.
- Sharp steering and responsive handling – Michelin’s Dynamic Response Technology lets the tire adjust with the driving condition and ensures superb steering precision. The tire’s inner construction features a nylon belt and hybrid aramid that provides excellent handling and high-speed stability.
- Superior wet grip, traction, and braking – This tire might not have much of grooves and sipes but they feature a silica-infused tread compound that improves wet grip and traction without hampering dry surface performance. There are wide circumferential grooves to resist hydroplaning and establish a brilliant wet grip. Likewise, the sticky tread compound of this tire helps in reducing the braking distance.
- Higher comforts and reduced noises – Despite belonging to the performance category, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is optimized to offer maximum comfort. Michelin’s Acoustic Technology which consists of sound-absorbing foam is used in most sizes of this tire to ensure that less tire noise is heard in the cabin.
- 9% better tread life than Michelin Pilot Super Sport – Michelin claims that the Pilot Sport 4S tires last 9% longer than the Pilot Super Sport tires.
- Premium velvet sidewall lettering – This tire gets premium velvet sidewall lettering, which makes it look distinct from its peers.
- High-tech and lightweight construction – This tire features lightweight and high-tech construction that reduces the tire's overall weight and helps in performing better at high speeds.
For customers’ peace of mind, the Pilot Sport 4S is covered by a 30,000 miles limited manufacturer tread life warranty. Made for use on sports cars, performance sedans, and powerful premium vehicles, this tire is offered in 17 to 23-inch rim sizes.
Pros and Cons
Now that you know a lot about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, you might want to know if it is good for you. Let’s have a look at the positives and negatives of this tire.
- This tire is optimized to offer excellent grip and traction in dry and wet conditions.
- Shorter stopping distance on wet pavements as compared to its peers.
- Comfortable and quiet as compared to other performance tires.
- Outstanding acceleration and braking on dry surfaces.
- Excellent high-speed handling, commendable steering response, and cornering grip.
- Covered by a 30,000 mile limited manufacturer tread life warranty, based on its size.
Unfortunately, no tire is perfect and the Pilot Sport 4S is no different. While it does have some worth-appreciating strengths, there are some negatives too.
- Rolling resistance isn’t the best in the category.
- Cannot be used in winter weather conditions.
- Not for those who prefer longevity over performance.
- One of the most expensive choices in the category.
SimpleTire’s view on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires
If you need a reliable and exceptionally good tire for your occasional track or road use, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is one of the best options available out there. The acceleration, grip, and traction levels of this tire are very high in both dry and wet conditions. Additionally, it comes with enhanced comfort and reduced noise levels. This tire also does a great job when it comes to wet braking performance, high-speed handling, steering response, and cornering grip. Another good thing about this tire is its warranty coverage. But, it is definitely not a tire for those who want something that’s long-lasting, winter usable, fuel-efficient, and affordable.
Vehicles the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is an OEM tire for
Compatible with sports cars, performance sedans, and powerful premium vehicles, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S could be used as Original Equipment on the 2020 BMW M340i xDrive, 2018 Porsche 718 Boxster, 2021 Lamborghini Huracan, 2020 Audi R8, 2020 Chevrolet Corvette, 2019 Ferrari Portofino, 2020 Cadillac CT5 and various others.
Vehicles the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is a good replacement tire for
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S can be a good replacement choice for vehicles like Audi A6, Mercedes-Benz GLS, Tesla Model 3, McLaren 720S, and Ferrari F430 Spider.
15 SimpleTire reviews
I had some decent Yokohamas on my ATS-V but the ride seemed to be very harsh and noisy. They had plenty of life but after getting an alignment the ride stayed the same. So I coughed up the money for these Michelins. Let me tell you, NIGHT and DAY difference. These are amazing tires for grip and extremely comfortable. The other tires had me not even wanting my car. The Michelins hook up good with 500rwhp and ride like a cloud. Highly recommend, but they aren't cheap. You get what you pay for often times. Buy these, they are worth the extra coin
The best tire for my ride. Daily driven ZL1 Camaro 2021.
Had Perellis as the factory 20" summer tires on our Mustang GT convertible, these Pilots are better across the board, dry, wet grip, ride comfort and road noise are all better.
Best tires for a Ferrari F430.
Still best tires available. I got hit by a bad batch but it is my 4 set, so stand behind them.
Great summer tire for our Volvo XC60 non-AWD.
I absolutely love these tires! I have them on my BMW 335i that has 615 hp to the rear wheels and they do great for a 95% daily driver, handling and breaking is great. Yes there are tires that are a little bit better for the track but that's just it they are track tires, these tires are all around great tires dry and wet. I even had them on last winter and drove every day rain, snow and ice and had no problem. Dread wear is even and long lasting to my surprise. Well worth the money!