Simple Tire Roundup: Performance Winter Tires


Winter tires have changed and evolved a lot in the last couple of decades…the days of heavy-treaded, noisy “snow tires” (or as your dad might have called them, “mud grips”) are pretty much over with, and many states don’t allow metal-stud tires on pavement. So in winter, you have to cope with glare ice, deep snow, slushy roads and packed snow…but you still want a winter tire that’s quiet and presents decent handling, ride and road manners on dry, clear pavement. So let’s have a look at some of our choices:

  • Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 – Bridgestone’s Blizzak LM-60 has long been a favorite of ours, and for good reason. The Blizzak combines winter traction with dry-road handling and ride. The Blizzak LM-60 uses a high-silica content winter tread compound with a directional design, featuring independent tread blocks and 3-D zigzag sipes to move water away from the tire’s footprint. The Blizzak is built with Bridgestone’s UNI-T construction, with twin steel belts and a spiral-wound nylon element. The Blizzak LM-60 performs well enough in snow to be branded with the industry’s Mountain/Snowflake symbol on the sidewall.
  • Continental ExtremeWinterContact – Continental’s winter performance tire uses a tread compound that stays flexible even in very cold temperatures, enhancing snow and ice traction. The ExtremeWinterContact features an asymmetric tread pattern for road manners and foul-weather traction; the lateral grooves have elevated bases for a stiffer tread surface, and high-density sipes for wet weather and snow. The ExtremeWinterContact features a winter tread depth indicator that shows through when the tire reaches approximately 50 percent wear.
  • Dunlop Graspic DS3 – This latest generation of Dunlop studless ice and snow tires uses Dunlop’s Digital Rolling Simulation II technology, a computer-enhanced design that optimizes winter traction. The Graspic DS-3 is designed with a silica-based glass-fiber-reinforced tread compound, with a symmetric independent-block tread design for grip in snow and ice. Three-dimensional interlocking sipes and stiff tread blocks help improve wet and dry traction. The first 55% of the Graspic DS-3’s tread uses Dunlop’s high-trip silica tread compound, while the remaining 45% is molded from an all-season tread formulation.

Brand Partners

Michelin Tires
BFGoodrich Tires
Nexen Tires
Firestone Tires
Cooper Tires
Falken Tires
Continental Tires
Bridgestone Tires
BKT Tires
Hankook Tires
Pirelli Tires
Yokohama Tires
See All